Thursday, March 20, 2008

Nature Infusion

Tonight I stood outside looking at the moon ~ and at first I felt afraid being outside alone in the dark. But even as I started lamenting my loss of connection with nature - it flooded in on me - the same feeling I used to feel wandering alone in wild places as a child, before I became afrid, before I had spent my days indoors, before I saw too many shows about all the dangers lurking in the woods, before I was afraid of the dark. And now I was overjoyed, overcome by that old feeling of connectedness with nature.

What does it feel like? It feels like I really truly belong here in this world, like I am important somehow, like all this was made for me. It is as though nature actually speaks to me in a unique voice used only when speaking to me! I feel I'm in a story - my story. I can truly breath. My whole being breathes. Only in solitude does it speak to me like this. It says - I am God's love, his room, his voice. The breath of a light breeze becomes my own. the clouds skirting the moon call me - we are here for you any time you want to feel real! The moon itself laughing at me, making me feel properly small.

I was seven years old when I first wandered into the woods alone - and I've been wandering ever since. It was North Sweden, long summer days, blueberries, little streams, mountains, fields, pretending I was a fairy of the forest all day. And growing up, I was always able to find a wild place to be alone - often it was where I felt most comfortable, comforted.



How can we give our children time out alone in nature? A back yard can do fine sometimes. A wilderness trail where they can walk ahead of us, just out of sight. A park where they can sit and draw or write - or just sit and observe whatever there is to observe, a balcony in the moonlight, a rock on the beach - within sight, but in their own space. Swimming, rowing, climbing a tree, lying in the grass, picking fruit.

Nature Deficit Disorder.....The Childhood Obesity Epidemic.....Kids on meds....chemical foods - connecting the dots.....

This is one reason we are working on producing the online sit-com webisodic series for kids called "The Kidz" as our new focus. I think we've said everything we can about raw foods in our eBooks and we're trying to do an even more definitive and comprehensive version in our five guides, but we want to do something that uses more of our creative energy, that lets us work with our kids, that can reach more people!

In Joy!
Jinjee

No comments: