Sunday, February 8, 2009

FindingMotivation


I'm sure most older people will agree when I say that people don't usually tell you how things really work in life. That is because it would sound too strange. You see, truth really is stranger than fiction. When it comes to describing life's intricate processes, you make a lot more sense when you make things up!

For instance, you should never give up on your dreams. To tell you how I have found this to be true, I have to tell you a strange story from my life. I had been eating too much, - although raw, not the right raw, and too much of not the right raw, and too much noshing all the time. Well, I finally prayed about it - really asked for help, from my heart. I couldn't at that time possibly imagine how I would break what had become such a bad habit.

Meanwhile I had started following my heart by singing. I was spending a couple of hours a day on my music. One night I told myself I had no business spending this much time doing music as I was in the middle of building a village! After moping about this for a little while, I suddenly stood up for myself to myself and told myself that I could too have a couple of hours a day to do my music as long as I kept taking care of business, which I would have the energy for if I would eat better.

And there was my motivation! I had somehow developed a passion for my music, and it would be easy to give up overeating if it meant I would have more time to spend on my music! Suddenly I could easily give up this forbidden fruit for another and tastier forbidden fruit!

This motivation wouldn't have worked a couple of weeks before, as my music studio wasn't set up and I didn't know my software. These things finally coming in to place paved the way for the motivation, for the good things to come together!

Who knows what motivates you! You may not even know yet, as I didn't. You may have to grow in to it! You may be motivated by disease, even when another person would give up in the face of disease. You may watch a movie or meet a person and learn something new that motivates you to change.

Motivation is key! And prayer helps! And if you trust the processes of life, you will see that things will unfold magically, weaving your dreams together in ways you couldn't invent on your own!

5 comments:

foodman said...

I don't mean to offend, but I imagine many people are wondering... Are you and Storm independently wealthy? I never read about jobs, and yet you support all those kids, do that village business, and seem to have loads of free time. How else could you do it?

sharon said...

Your kind words give me motivation. I'm trying with baby steps, and each day, your blog helps. You have a beautiful family, thank you for sharing.

sharon in sugar land

glth said...

Well, as an "older person" I don't recommend making things up. I'm a real supporter of TRUTH! (and I'm fully convinced that lies always hurt somebody, one way or another)

But yes, maybe some things you just have to keep silent about, or can only drop subtle "hints" about, because if a person is not ready for something, there's no point in trying to tell them!

I think, as an "older person", I've also learned that life has little value, unless you are living for the things that have meaning for YOU.

I used to beat myself up about things like - whether or not I did the dishes that day - for instance. Not anymore! If I don't FEEL that's what I want to spend my (precious!) time on, then I don't.

One thing you for sure learn, as an "older person", life is too short, to waste on doing things that don't bring you any happiness or sense of real fulfillment. (So those dishes now get done, when it becomes important to ME, and not before!)

Big responsibility to be in charge of an entire community. And of course, if one little thing goes "wrong", the one's in charge, will also be the one's who get blamed for anything that goes wrong! Which is probably why you're having so much trouble "letting go" of that responsibility, when you need to. But isn't the bringing of your own special gifts, your own special talents, PART AND PARCEL of what will make that community successful? If there ever comes a time when the community no longer allows you an outlet to be YOU, then it is perhaps time to find (or build?) a NEW COMMUNITY?!

I imagine you'll probably be coming up against some persecution and/or resistance from "outside forces" too, since even simple "vegetarianism" isn't fully accepted by our society, yet. (and technically, "vegetarianism" is still basically OUTLAWED by our civil laws! Though thankfully, that aspect of the "law" is not usually enforced, unless somebody has really got it out for you, for other reasons...)

And you are taking things one step further than simple vegetarianism, by declaring a fully "raw diet". I'm sure the FDA and/or lots of little "social workers" who consider themselves "guardians of the public health", are not fully comfortabley with this new declaration. (since it contradicts some of the things they stand for, and possibly even believe in)

So you're up against a lot, to even try for something like this. Closed communities often fail, in this country, for various reasons. I hope yours will fare better. But if it doesn't, just remember, it won't be the first time someone tried something like this, and failed. At least, at the end of the day, you can say you did make the EFFORT. (so no one can ever accuse you of NOT TRYING!)

Anabrese said...

Thank you Jinjee, that post really helped me as I too have been a long term raw foodist but have been having challenges with overeating and indulging in the wrong raw food.
I am also a musician and would like more energy for exercise, strength building etc. Something has recently come up that would require a real effort from me and so that may be my goal and help me. It can be quite difficult to feel positive sometimes when you're under the effects of such bad habits. But, as you say, these are the challenges that inspire us to move on.
xx

JMS said...

It took me until my late 40s to find balance in my diet. Jehovah makes so many good foods that it is definitely a challenge. I took the number of calories for my perfect weight, and make sure never to go over it. Just like money, no credit. I find too much exercise stimulates my desire to eat more. Less is more.

Oh and the dream part. This is one of my favorite quotes - "Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakes." - Carl Gustav Jung