Wednesday, June 4, 2008

positivethinkingdiscipline


Overview: Positive thinking takes a discipline of the mind. Learning this will help discipline your food thoughts too.

When you've figured out that a certain thought hurts you (even if it seems like its hurtful to someone else) (Storm's little wisdom Regarding revenge: You have to hurt yourself first in order to hurt another person).

Further, Katie Byron's The Work helped me to realize that when you have negative thoughts about others you primarily hurt yourself! That was a nice thing to realize, but it took a long time after that to actually stop thinking negative thoughts about others. I had to go through several experiences that were like the Universe was beating me up so bad that I had to say OK, fine! Mercy! I'll stop thinking those negative thoughts! And then I had to find a way. It turns out that for me it was a discipline.

You identify which thoughts are hurting you (not hard to do!) and you make a decision to not think that thought any more. Then you discipline yourself to block that thought. You start by ignoring it or giving it no energy. If it persists then you say to yourself - This thought hurts me so I'm not going to think it.

Sometimes part of you will think that it is important to think a negative thought. For instance "My DH doesn't clean up enough". - I know that thought triggers a whole tirade of negative thoughts and emotions, that we just go around and around year after year and that it is just better for me to clean up myself, so I choose to block that thought. But then another voice asks, hey, aren't you just letting him walk all over you, or aren't you afraid you're being used, or what if you are ruining your life by not allowing this thought? But I am learning that when we have big issues with someone else, they are usually reflections of our own problems.

(I love the way Katie Byron puts it so simply - "If its so easy, do it yourself!")

I'm a terrible slob and so I have a super problem with people who are slobs. The more something bugs you, the more you can be sure it is an issue you are working on yourself (or that you feel you should be working on, or that you dislike about yourself). And of course you are attracting these people to your life to show you what your issues are. So be grateful for them! And every time you think "so and so should do this" - instantly turn it around and say "I should do this". and take that wonderful opportunity to work on yourself!

You'll be helping them too! - Setting a good example.

Work on yourself! You can't work on anyone else anyway!

My DH's untidiness and unfairness is his own problem - and the Universe will give him ample opportunities to solve them. Its not my job! Isn't that freeing! And what's more, I don't even have to THINK about his problems - or anyones! I get to have a totally positive mental attitude!

And in that positive mind state, you'll find you have have room for the most wonderful creative thoughts! Life can be good! Right now! OK, it might take some practice to get good at disciplining the mind, for some of us! But it is worth the work!

And this discipline can be used to stay raw or to overcome addictions! Blocking Food Thoughts! If you start thinking about a cooked food you want to eat, you can say the same thing - I don't want this thought. I reject this thought. I don't own this thought. I cancel this thought. I release this thought.

And soon your mind is so organized and disciplined that it doesn't suggest so many destructive thoughts to you anymore.

We all filter our thoughts all the time anyway. This is just being more conscious of the process. For instance dreams - we don't take those thoughts seriously, or literally. Random thoughts, violent thoughts, fantasies, - most of us dismiss those thoughts almost right away. Sometimes strange thoughts that make no sense, like a dream-like garbled stream of thoughts - enters our mind when we're tired, trying to pray or meditate, in bed late at night after a long day - and we just recognize those as not our right mind, not our normal head-space - and we dismiss them, ignore them, or take them with a grain of salt.

Sometimes they can be annoying or confusing, but usually they don't even get that far. So, now I am learning to do this same thing for bad food thoughts. It might be difficult the first few times, but after that - well, you've just created a great new habit! - One that will give you so much energy! A new life!

Co-incidentally, I was talking with a man on the dock yesterday who told me he got over his bi-polar disorder (manic depression) after reading a book about how to control your thoughts!

Thoughts are very powerful! You deserve to live in a positive, stimulating, happy, and harmonious mental environment!

We just went and saw the second Narnia movie, Prince Caspian, and Jome was attracted to the song at the very end - The Call - which he's been listening to on Youtube, and I think its about how thoughts become reality. - Pretty song, anyway! - The movie was a bit full of battles, but it was like "The Good Fight" with a very Christian message - I enjoyed it, having grown up loving The Narnia Books!


In Joy!
Jinjee

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jinjee -

wow ... on so many levels. I first discovered raw foods about 2 years ago...and bought all your stuff...then hid it all so I wouldnt make my hubby freak out that I was different than him (and I still can't find your video!)...time passes, lessons are learned. I do love the cleaning story...working on that as well, but making progress with differing standards.But anyway, want you to know I think you are an inspiration. You were my spark! Thank you my friend!

Susie said...

its funny how I come across your family's journey of raw food living and this blog when I'm trying very hard myself to live at least, bare with me here, a vegan diet but I'm sure once I'm out of my parents house I'll live this raw vegan diet, but also ironically I'm doing this positive thinking. Recently I've come to relies the source to my problem with food, my issues with my body and the source that provoked it was my negative thinking, it was about time I came across this.
Thank you for sharing your advise with everyone.
You also have a beautiful family by the way, your story is inspiring.
Have an amazing day.

Jinjee said...

Awh! Thanks for the comments. Its funny how the raw diet and positive thinking go together - I guess if people are searching for health or truth they are going to run in to both of these schools of information at some point.

Storm's brother Mike who cured himself of cancer with raw food says there are three prongs to health - diet, exercise, and thoughts.

I think that thoughts stem from your spirit. So I might say the three prongs are diet, exercise and spirit.

As it says in that song The Call -

It started off with a feeling
Which then grew into a hope
That turned in to a quiet thought
That then turned in to a quiet word

...going on to describe how that word became an action.

I've been thinking about it. The feeling is like the emotional or spiritual realm. And sure, a feeling causes a hope or a desire which is also in that realm. And then that hope or desire sparks a thought about how to get it or how you can't get it. The thing is to just have thoughts about how to get it. And then you go about getting the thing you want. Or doing whatever it is that you want to do . Or taking whatever action is necessary to achieve the goals outlined in your words, that came from your thoughts, that came from your spirit.

Why is all this process-y stuff even worth talking about? I think it shows us firstly how important our spirit/heart/essence/soul is. That's where it all starts. And I think that if we are sick in our soul that we can deal with that through prayer, positive thinking, exercise, diet, meditation, yoga, loving, friendship, helping, working, - I guess we have to figure out where our balance is off and work on restoring that...

Balacing alone time with service.
Balancing work and play
Balancing control and spontaneity
etc...

Hmmm....Thanks for the thought provoking comments!